Saturday, 4 January 2014

Kitchen Refurb

Our next project was to get the kitchen fixed up in time for our new arrival. We didn't want to go for the usual run of the mill fitted kitchen and we also didn't have the money for it ;0)

So sticking with the farmhouse look and feel we decided to retain the original 50's storage cupboards and furniture and then salvaged as much as we could from the barns around us as we did with the bathroom.

Scaffold boards/scrap wood and hooks became shelves and coat racks. Old roof slates became a windowsill. We found a Belfast sink which along with bricks from the demolished barn and a huge piece of slate we found under the house in the cellar, created a sink unit under the window. We also found the matching hob for the oven and they were moved to the back wall where the sink used to be next to the Aga.

1m long drill bit to get through the solid stone walls
Old leaking plumbing removed
Temporary kitchen made in the utility room
Old tiles removed and shelves demolished
Getting rid of the mouldy wallpaper
First attempt at cement!
Laying the sink unit foundations
Re-plastering/patching the walls

The dishwasher is finally plumbed in after a year!
Painting the walls cream to warm up the space but still keep it light


The finished kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment