Sunday, 16 June 2013

The Veg Patch

Over the last few months we have made good progress. We are not 100% operational but we have managed to plant around 100 plants.

Unfortunately we are not sure what some of them are as our little plastic greenhouse blew over in the strong winds back in April and all our seedlings got muddled!

So far we have : Courgettes, squash, rhubarb, broad beans, peas, sugar snap peas, mangetout, dwarf beans, beetroot, kale, broccoli, red cabbage, lettuce, carrots, radish, alpine strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, blackcurrants.

We have dug a fence in all around it so it is rabbit proof which was the main aim as the little blighters get everywhere, but unfortunately the birds have had a few plants already ;0( We also found two lovely wrought iron gates lying around the land which have made great exits.

Things aren't growing as well as they should be, we are not sure if it is due to the hideous weather we have had so far this year or if our soil isn't great...

Yesterday I found that some kind of maggot had eaten its way through all our radishes, so I am not hopeful the beetroots and carrots will survive, we'll see, this year is a kind of trial and error, next year we plan to have all sections fully up and running. We are planing to do companion planting, where we plant veg's next to each other along with other flower plants that aid each others growth.

See our progress below:

 Seve's home made greenhouse made from old windows found in the barns

Grow my pretties!

No comments:

Post a Comment